Manda studies religion all day, every day. That makes Manda a little crazy sometimes. The Friendly Mushroom loves holidays. There are Jewish holidays. Manda sometimes makes her apartment celebrate Jewish holidays. This post is about one of those times.
The Jewish celebration of Purim commemorates the story of Esther. It's akin to our celebration of Halloween, but Biblical. So, you dress up, drink until you can't tell the difference between the heroes and villains in the Esther play, and generally have a good time.
We here in The Friendly Mushroom adapted the holiday and it was fun, if I do say so myself. Panda and I went to the store and bought Sprite and sherbet and chips. We made a sort of punch and ate the chips while watching the Liken the Scriptures version of Esther. The film was very much in keeping with the spirit of the holiday and we all sang along to the songs. Micah and Kari came over and watched with us. It was great!
That's one thing I love about being this age. You grow up with your parents and they have customs that you love. But then you go to college and live with different people who have customs and are introduced to different holidays and traditions from around the world and you get to embrace those. Forming your own traditions is fun and really helps embrace the amazing diversities this world has to offer.
Finally, my favorite video about Purim. It's the best and I watch it every year.
I am the morning and the evening star, if I say day is night, thus it shall be written.
-Manda
No comments:
Post a Comment